1) Write to Ernest and let them know that you are willing to help them search for housing. Since you will be helping with this, please ask them to write to us directly so we can take down their Housing Profile to make room for other inmates who do not have someone helping them.
2) Locate online newspapers, real estate & rental agencies, and local housing agencies in where Ernest plans to reside.
3) Contact any government agencies or volunteer groups in the in area that may assist with ex-inmate housing.
4) Focus on affordable housing options and any special housing needs required by Ernest. Find out the cost of rent, security deposit, and whether or not utilities are included. Find out if a lease is required, and if so, the length of the commitment.
5) Contact the representative of each property and see what, if any, furnishings come with the listing. Make a list of any furnishings required to make it livable.
6) Contact any non-profit organization in the area that may donate furnishings. If they can help, save their contact information.
7) Print and send relevant information to Ernest. Be sure to include the date housing will be available, all costs, rental requirements, furnishing information, and contact information for the property.
8) Visit our Inmate Housing & Inmate Housing Forum for more information.
9) Visit our self-help series to see if any of these additional documents may be helpful to Ernest to prepare for a positive reentry experience.
Reconnect with Ernest:
Already know Ernest?
If you have questions or information to share about this particular Department of Corrections or prison, please visit the New Jersey Forum.